Sauvez L'Avenue du Parc / Help Save Park Avenue

Français et Anglais unis: Nous ne tolérerons pas la tyrannie !

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

How do you feel about being labeled a neo-Montrealer

I didn't know we were neo-Montrealers...I thought I was a Quebecer!

Imagine, Mayor Tremblay thinks I'm a "neo-Montrealer". I quote "Along with other north-south arteries in Montréal, ...Avenue du Parc are marked by the presence of numerous neo-Montrealers". Does he not see that he's adding insult to injury. My parents immigrated to Mile End in 1946. How long does it take before we're considered Quebecers? It sounds a bit like "pure laine" to me. Now he has doubly insulted me. First he's trying to erase my history and then he makes me feel as though I really don't belong anyway because, after all, I'm only a "neo-Montrealer".

Sheila Resels

PS I was born in Montreal and I love this city. I left in 1972 to live in Vancouver and after many years of trying to return here, my husband, son and I finally succeeded 1.5 years ago. We chose to live in Mile End (where I was actually born). It has been a totally positive experience. Calling me and my family "neo-Montrealers", when I feel as though I have finally "come home"...hurts. That's all.

2 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neo comment is shameful, just a shameful lack of respect, a lack of proper upbringing. The letter was obviously sent out by someone who is living in a vacume. Unaware of the real world around him. A smug self important arrogant petty person who lucked out with a job at city hall. This is what has become of politics and politician. Be boisterous, ignore diologue, ignore others feelings and push push push. A suit and tie does not make you a gentleman, regard for others does.

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a real neo-Montrealer, having arrived just two years ago from New York, I am really amazed and disgusted by what I have observed in the local political scene. Immigrants made a city like New York the economic engine of the US and they could do the same for Montreal if they weren't held back and held in disdain by our governing politicians.

I am pleased to see people raising a fight over this, but I fear that the opinion of a bunch of neo-montrealers doesn't count for much here after all.

I guess we get what we deserve. For Montreal that means second class status to Toronto, a city that welcomes immigrants wholeheartedly, whereas not too long ago Montreal was the preeiment city in Canada.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home